#2 lord4000

lord4000

Stop trying

• Fucks
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:011235813213455891442333776109871587258441816765

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

so i was trying to figure out who was doing the voice over and before i found out i realize that Max von Sydow (who's voice it is in the video), Christopher Lee, Frank Langella, and Bruce Spence sound a hell of a lot alike.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#3 Illinest

Illinest

Elon Musk rules.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3012 posts
  • Interests:Corvette.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Finally played some. I did the intro - made a female Breton and named her Persephone. Never used to make female characters but I figured if I'm going to be listening to a lot of grunting and groaning I'd rather hear a woman's voice. Also wanted to see if the faces were as ugly as they used to be. Thankfully they look a lot better than they did in Oblivion.

Did the opening stuff - yadda yadda - busted out from the cave entrance and journeyed out into the world.
I must say that the water is pretty. Not perfect of course, but usually worth a second look.
I turned in the opposite direction from where the cave pointed me and went up the mountain instead. Stumbled across a keep. I thought it might be a nice place to rest up and explore town life but it was actually a bandit camp. They attacked me. I killed the first three with fire, a fourth was up on the wall shooting arrows at me. I hunted him down and a fifth guy started shooting arrows at me. Hunted him down and a sixth guy... You get the picture.

By this point I was very annoyed with the denizens of the keep and I decided to kill every man and woman in it and take their shit and burn the place with my fire. Eventually found the quarters of a warrior who seemed to be the leader. He had a library key on him. I took the library key downstairs and inside I found the real motherfucker - a mage of some sort. I gave up my fire spell and just hacked the shit out of him. I think it might've been a difficult fight if I hadn't had the Breton magic resistance.
Final loot tally - 3 circlets that reduce casting cost of a certain magic type, a bitchin helmet that speeds magicka regen, a cool robe that also speeds magicka regen, a ton of gold and jewelry and a bunch of other gear. Fully equipped I was able to turn on my flamethrower and leave it on for the entirety of most battles. Of course I also increased my total magicka when I leveled up twice.

Then I went outside and I started setting roofs and trees on fire. They don't actually burn down but they do ignite for a little while. I tea-bagged a few of the bandits and went back down the mountain. When I finally reached the first proper town I found an elf outside complaining about some other idiot. I murdered the elf with fire, then I took his housekey and looted his house. Sadly when I looked at my stat tracker it showed my encounter with the elf as an 'assault' instead of a murder. Motherfucker.

The game is much more cinematic than Oblivion was. The characters look better, the voice-acting is noticeably better (though still not really great) and even the greater visual fidelity of stuff like the apples you find makes it a world that you enjoy exploring. It's not just a matter of improved graphics, although they are better in just about every way. It's that Oblivion was a world that inevitably seemed faked whereas this world keeps immersing you. I think that the Elder Scrolls fans will love the game about as much as they loved the ones that came before it but I think it's the 'non-rpg' crowd that's really going to get a kick out of it. It's still an ode to dungeons and dragons but now it's also got a much bigger dose of Grand Theft Auto.
You'll also find that the lore groundwork that was begun so many years ago is bearing greater fruits as time goes on. The books that you find keep increasing in number and yet also seem more relevant with each chapter.

I think that this is the game that will expand the Elder Scrolls to new audiences. It's good enough to fit on the shelf as a console blockbuster, not just a niche game in a niche genre. I think it's definitely a better game than Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
No signature.

#4 Calei

Calei

fractals

• Special Fucks
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5811 posts
  • Interests:Click click.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

I've been playing it quite a bit. I went for High Elf Mage. I've been having lots of fun romping around and exploring things. I'm level 38, I think.

My boyfriend found a sweet little glitch- in Riften, go to the Black-briar meadery and speak to the dude at the bar. When it asks you to persuade him, you can get a nice little endless loop of speech increase. I did it fairly swiftly (just because I didn't feel like grinding my way to 100 and fucking shops are EXPENSIVE). Not sure if you have to have a certain level of speechcraft in order to successfully persuade though. I was level 35 or so at the time.

#5 Illinest

Illinest

Elon Musk rules.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3012 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

this girl is the nerd queen for awhile.
No signature.

#6 Cinnabon

Cinnabon

Divinity Puff

• Fucks
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1527 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Had a shitload of trouble trying to get it to run on my computer, since I had 2 weeks free after getting a tonsillectomy

I fucked up and learned alot about computers in the process, but finally got it running, the frustrating thing I'd most of the time it frame rates like shit and I think I would enjoy it much more if it ran smoothly. I did the main quest line and then made the big mistake of getting into cheat commands, and once you turn to cheats the game gets old fast. What I really wish is I had a high performance machine and I could really enjoy the game, take my time, read the books and get into it.

I got 2 character ideas I want to try. The girl I took through the game was conjuration/archery, which turned out perfect for my computer because shit will kill things for me, or slow the time down and snipe.

The 2 ideas I would Looooove to try is an illusion/alteration based character named Jesus who never killed a single rabbit nor npc or anyone and went through the game calming, fearing and disappearing

And 2 just a badass who punches things to death
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Calei

Calei

fractals

• Special Fucks
  • 5811 posts
  • Interests:Click click.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I have quit playing it. For some reason, there's a fatal flaw in the game where the whole thing glitches like hell due to the ever-expanding save file (or some such nonsense).

I can't handle the constant freezing when I'm trying to ride my horse around, damn it.

#8 Cloud

Cloud

NOT slut

• Bakafishie
  • 5805 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, music, bakakage regulars <3333

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I am stupidly obsessed with this game. Strange as it is because these games never used to catch my attention enough

#9 lchen

lchen

I <3 Dr. reina

• Fish Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20802 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

i dont play these games but i do love Hoarders http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6747386/skyrim-hoarders
join the bk group on last.fm
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image<-click

#10 Illinest

Illinest

Elon Musk rules.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3012 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Got the pc version on steam summer sale and started modding. Modding it is cooler. I have a bunch of graphics and gameplay mods so far but I think the best thing I did was to install a few that change immersion and game mechanics. I got one that made combat noticeably better (at level 1 anyways)

The magic spells aren't as wimpy, the enemies aren't as dumb, the weapons are deadlier and parrying is actually useful. Made the game feel like I was being challenged a little bit. You actually have to plan your attacks a bit and engaging in combat against 3 or more opponents is a bit scary - at least for the character I'm using now.

No signature.

#11 Drakinar

Drakinar

Tyrant in training

• Uploading Fucks
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Interests:Taking over the world.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Got to say skyrim really didn't do much for me. But then again I had just gotten done with fallout 3 and fallout new vagas so it just felt like the same game with bows and swords rather than guns and clubs. I will probably revisit it again in the future. Hopefully it is better then. 

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#12 Illinest

Illinest

Elon Musk rules.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3012 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Like I said - mod the game extensively to make it play properly.

For example the first thing you should do is to download better quest objectives to get rid of all the compass arrows. Morrowind used to give you verbal directions (like go NW) rather than marking the exact location on a map and although it's more difficult it's also a lot more involving and fun.

Then you need to get one of the combat mods to make combat better. Combat is pretty easy in vanilla as long as you play a certain way. If you get one of the good combat mods it'll make the game more difficult, more strategic, and magic spells won't suck nearly as much.

Then you get the User Interface mod and the map mod to fix the interface tools.

Then you get some immersive mods. You can dress up the cities to look more finished, add a mod that populates them with more people (actually feels populated for once) and there are many other mods that add NPCs doing all sorts of things. There's a warzone mod that spawns skirmishes between various factions, a mod called radiance that introduces a few new npcs and may even send certain npcs after you if they feel the need to get revenge for whatever reason.

Even the mods that only improve lighting or grass make a big difference.

After playing the Xbox version for so long I finally started playing the modded PC game and now I feel that skyrim was gimped too much to make it playable on the consoles. Most of the mods work just fine on a decent PC, but the game kind of chugs on the consoles even when you play it vanilla.

I'll give you an example - I made a new character who stumbled on the aftermath of a battle between two NPC mages. The mage who specializes in cold magic had killed the one who specializes in fire. Well I was no stranger to this scene from playing on the Xbox - I attacked the one who was still alive.

This was my first time fighting with the mod in place and I was surprised when i saw that ice spells reduce your stamina quickly. I was in trouble quickly. I put some distance between us and got out my bow. I was able to work on him from a distance with that until I recovered a bit, then I rushed in with a sword and finished him off.

Just one mage - I had to think on my feet to beat him.

Five minutes later I came across a Khajit caravan - 4 members. I just about crapped my pants until I realized they weren't hostile.

Five minutes after that I was surprised by an imperial messenger. Not hostile but he was running in my direction. I panicked, attacked him, had to kill him to prevent from having a bounty put on me. In the past I would've waited to see if he attacked, but not with this game.

Later I came across a bandit camp. Just 2 bandits gave me all I could handle. I snuck in afterwards to loot but I was attacked while I was there. When I saw 3 bandits I knew I had to run. 2 - sure - maybe. 3? Nah I don't think so. I just barely got back to Whiterun.

If that's not enough there are much tougher combat mods and also a hypothermia mod and an eating mod which make it so that you have to keep warm and fed or else your character will die. The hypothermia makes water become essentially insta-death. If you get wet you need to get to a fire ASAP. I don't know if I need that level of difficulty but I do know that you don't know how stupidly easy the game is until you try it rebalanced with one of these mods for a while.

Unfortunately the obvious solution to the difficulty problem - setting game difficulty higher - isn't very satisfying because it doesn't really make the game more fun, it just makes you die easier.

No signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users